Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Sunday 23 January 2022

Robinson: Goe from my window

An opportunity to compare entabulations by Thomas Robinson and John Dowland.

Thomas Robinson (c 1560 – c 1610) was a lutenist who published a tutor for lute (The Schoole of Musicke) in 1603. This piece is the fifth of his works that I have transcribed for low-G ukulele, and will be posting over the next few weeks.

There are four variations based on the old song, increasing in complexity.

Ornamental capital from the original


I remembered that over five years ago I blogged an arrangement of a version of this song.by Robinson's contemporary John Dowland (1563 – 1626). You can read about it here. This was an opportunity to polish up the arrangement that I made then.

You can view and download my arrangements by both composers in pdf format by clicking on the links below:

See what you think of them. They are in the same key, which helps. (I know which composer I prefer.)

Happy plucking!