Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Saturday 15 January 2022

Ascue: Robin Hoode

Another version of the old melody


Some years ago I blogged a compendium of Robin Hood instrumentals by Dowland and Robinson, preceded by simpler versions by me in (I hope) the appropriate idiom.  You can view them here. 

Earlier this week I heard on BBC R3 another version the very obscure Robert Ascue. It was played on lute by Paul O'Dette. It's in The Euing Lute Book, held in Glasgow University Library, but there appears to be no facsimile available. Fortunately I found a transcription on www.GroundsandDivisions.info, to whom many thanks.



Alternative names of the piece are: Robin is to the Greenwood Gone, Bonny Sweet Robin, and Robin Hood(e).

It's quite a nice arrangement, but probably easier to understand than to play. The later variations include a fairly bog-standard set of divisions: OK, but not a patch on the Dowland version. Have a look at both versions and see what you think.

You can download the pdf of the arrangement for low-G ukulele (for free) here. (Just click on the download button in the top right-hand corner of the page.)

Let me know if you have any problems. Happy plucking!