Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Wednesday 17 January 2024

Anon: Fair Ministers disdain me not (Margaret Board Lute Book, f23v/2)

 Short and sweet

One of the shortest pieces from the Margaret Board Lute Book, and good fun to play. I have had to take some liberties with the lower voice, but it sounds OK. There is a lot of space for you to add your own decorations (graces, divisions, etc).

"Fair ministers" as it appears in the MS

I have tried (not very diligently, I must admit) to trace the origin of the words, presumably a song or part of a masque: 

Fayre my[ni]sters disdayne me not though hard fauored I be 

For Venus did not w[i]th V[u]lcan match yet none so foule as he

In  [...] that text What [...] knowe

What if he were a cuckold made would be so served so 

That's the best my slight skills in palaeography can achieve. It does not appear to be a reference to the poem “Disdain me not without desert” by Sir Thomas Wyatt.

Nevertheless it's good fun to play.

You can download a pdf of the piece freely here.