Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Tuesday 9 January 2024

Anon: A Dreame (Margaret Board Lute Book, f. 20v)

 A lovely little tune, and my favourite (so far) from the Margaret Board MS


Transcribed from a facsimile of the original online here.

There are 3 strains of 16, 12 and 12 bars. The repeat pattern is 2 x (A, A’), 2 x (B, B’ C, C’). 

Transcription was relatively easy because the original made little use of strings 5 and below. The principal challenge was in bars 69 – 74, where the bass line uses notes on the 5th string, which we don’t have. I have therefore exchanged the voices, but appended a version of §C’ in whch the voices are as close to the original as possible. The choice is yours. 

Also, I have indicated barrés where you might find them convenient.

You can download the PDF file of "A Dreame" here.

I hope that you enjoy playing it as much as I do.

Btw, this is not the same as Dowland's "A Dreame", which I find that I haven't yet arranged it for the uke. I'm going to start now.