Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Monday 8 January 2024

Anon: Delacourt Pavan (Margaret Board Lute Book, f. 1v/1)


The second piece in The Margaret Board Lute Book



Transcribed for low-G ukulele from a facsimile of the original (available online here),  

There are 3 strains of 8 bars, each followed by a variation ornamented with divisions. For a simpler and shorter piece one can ignore the variations. The arrangement is as near as possible to the lute fingering, although it is not always possible to represent the lower voice.

There are overwhelmingly many ornaments indicated on the MS: perhaps the player was just being shown what grace to play if they felt like it, possibly to elaborate the repeats. 

The harmonies are reminiscent of those in the Passamezzo Antico, but not in the same order.

V      | V     | i       | i   iv  | V  i    | V        | I      | I      |

V      | V     | i       | i   iv  | V       | iv   V  | I      | I      ||

i       | i      | ♭VII | ♭VII  | i        | i           | V     | V     |

i       | i      | ♭VII | ♭VII | i        | iv          | V     | V      ||

♭VII | ♭♭VII | i      | iv     | V   i   |  V        | I       | I      |

♭VII | ♭VII | i  ♭VII | i  iv  | V   iv  |  V     | I      | I     ||

You can freely download a pdf of this piece here.