Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Sunday 19 November 2023

John Dowland: Giles Hobie's Galliard, P29

 Not terribly complicated, but still a challenge

I always like to have the melody of a piece in my mind when playing it – otherwise I just get lost. On a lute played by an expert you have a lovely wall of sound, but on the ukulele any deficiencies in interpretation can be just a mass of plonks. 

There are three strains. I have not even attempted to transcribe Dowland's variations as they are heavily ornamented.

The upper voice of this galliard is not one you would find the under-butler whistling after hearing a performance in your salon. I have played a MIDI version of it over and over in a not wholly successful attempt to fix it in my head.

Don't let me put you off, though. You can download

1. The fullest transcription that I can make here,

2. A much simplified arrangement with an emphasis on the upper voice here.


SOURCE: Poulton D, Lam B, Eds. 1995. The collected lute music of John Dowland, Edn 3. Faber Music, London.  

Giles Hoby was a member of the landed gentry in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. I have no idea why the galliard received his name.