Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Wednesday 8 November 2023

John Dowland: Galliard (Awake, sweet love) P24

 A blessedly simple galliard from JD... 

... but, even so, in my campaign to make my transcriptions more accessible, I have provided an even simpler version using JD’s first voice and harmonies, but reducing the complexity of the lower voices. It may seem a bit empty, but for a bit of fun one can add fill-ins using the chord shape one is already holding. I’ve also suggested some fingerings.

The following “proper” transcription after Dowland's MS tries to maintain his voicings as far as possible. The lute version is set in D, which equates to E on the ukulele, an unscooperative key, so I have raised it to F, which fits more easily under the fingers. It is tempting to make a version where the 4th string is tuned to F (temple viejo), giving a nice deep root, but that is perhaps a step too far.

The timing poses no great challenges, so I have not made a separate unvoiced version.

Adaped from Poulton D, Lam B, Eds. 1995. The collected lute music of John Dowland, Edn 3. Faber Music, London.

Title page of Dowland's The first booke of songes or ayres,
which includes  'Awake, sweet love'


The Dowland song that was derived from this piece is “Awake, sweet love, thou art returned”, published in The first booke of songes and ayres. The song melody is less syncopated, and doesn’t sound much like a galliard to me, but the accompaniment does. 

I have set it from Lute songs of John Dowland, I & II, transcribed by David Nadal, Dover, 1997.

You can download a pdf of the ukulele arrangement of the lute solo for free HERE...

... and a pdf of the song + accompaniment HERE.