Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Tuesday 7 March 2023

Philippus Thomassinus (Filippo Tomassini): Volta (unvoiced version)

 This is an alternative version of a transcription of "Volta" (originally written for Renaissance guitar) that I posted on 14 Feb 2023. 

The earlier version of 14 Feb.


In my earlier version I tried to discriminate 2 or 3 voices, but playing it through after a few weeks decided that I was being over-academic in the setting, and that it could be played in "campanella" style. 

I therefore removed all the voicing, simplified the note lengths to the minimum necessary for playing, and added the instruction: hold the notes for as long as possible, to achieve the campanella effect. 

Also, I changed the tempo from 3/2 to 3/4. This enables me to use beaming on the notes to indicate where the (?hemiola) rhythm count changes from 

1& 2& 3&

to

1&a 2&a

Some bars were, however, rather ambiguous, and I leave the interpretation up to you.

The new simplified version


It always surprises me how many ways one can notate relatively simple tabs.

You can try it out by downloading the tabs for free here.