Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Wednesday 15 March 2023

Adrian Le Roy: Branle Gay (Maintenant c'est vn cas estrange)

It's a while since I posted a piece by Adrian Le Roy. Recently, however, I noticed mentioned on the wonderful Early Music Muse website that Le Roy had published two pieces in the low F tuning (temple viejo or corde avallée), and I thought "why not have a go?"  I have after all, been transcribing and posting pieces by Thomassinus (see post of 13 Feb 2023) set in the same tuning.

Here is the first. It was a simple piece to transcribe, and in the book was accompanied by the melody (below), and as far as I can tell by the antique notation, the top voice of the tabs follows the melody

The melody and first verse of the chanson. The meaning of the black diamonds had me stumped, but I have guessed that it means "fill the rest of the bar with this note". 
Source: Adrian Le Roy, 1555, Second livre de guiterre, Paris
.
Facsimile: Early Music Online. Persistent url: http://purl.org/rism/BI/1555/7


The chord sequence is:

I    ♭VII    iv     V (repeated)    I     iv       iv     V (repeated)

The use of the ♭VII (here B♭) is reminiscent of the major form of the passamezzo antico.

You can hear and see a spirited performance on violin and classical guitar here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYw2wjtDKQQ

If you want to try the piece out, you can download the free pdf here 

... or a version including what I hope is an accurate transcription of the melody here.

PS Don't forget to tune your 4th string to F3 (Helmholz f)!