Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Thursday 16 February 2023

Philippus Thomassinus (Filippo Tomassini): Gagliarda

  This "Gagliarda" is the fourth of five pieces for Renaissance guitar in Concerto Vago ... , described in my  post of 13 February 2023. 


The first two bars of "Gagliarda"
Facsimile at: Museo internazionale e Bibl. della musica, Bologna (I-Bc): V.156 


This piece, although entitled "Gagliarda", is not what I had expected a galliard to sound like (metre: 1  2  3  |  1   &3) but is set in 3/2 time following the original. In effect, 3/2 alternates with 6/4. Gilles T has pointed out to me this is known as hemiola, which I now remember encountering when transcribing Gaspar Sanz' pieces for Baroque guitar. (Incidentally, the more I read about hemiola and sesquialtera – are they or are they not synonymous? – the more confused I become.)



You can download a pdf version of "Gagliarda" here for free