Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Friday 5 October 2018

Anon: Seven variations on Walsingham (Holmes Nn.6.36 20v, 21r)

The second of two versions of Walsingham in the Mathew Holmes Lute Book Nn.6.36 20v, 21r/1 in the Cambridge University Library, and the last (for now, at least) of my ukulele arrangements, which were advertised here.

The first 3 lines of the clear original MS.
Note that Holmes, the compiler, had bought a 5-line music manuscript book, and had to rule in an extra line.


The preceding version of Walsingham in the book (uke arrangement here) is a bit of a dog’s breakfast, so I was pleasantly surprised by this piece. There is the usual problem with tunes in D or Dm on the ukulele, as you tend to run out of low notes, but I've done what I can.

This piece diverges more from the original air than do most arrangements of Walsingham – even at the beginning it has some unexpected harmonies. It is both interesting and not too challenging (if you keep to 60 bpm).

It is more tuneful than most, and quite contrapuntal in places. Where I have heard hints of the campanella effect, I have scored accordingly. Even the, apparently obligatory, variation with semi-quaver divisions has a clear melody and articulation, and is not merely a stream of scale fragments. You will gather that I like it. I hope you do.

Available to download in the following formats: