Featured post

Please read: What to do if the links to transcriptions don't work

😩  All the links embedded in posts before 1 August 2020 are broken. As a workaround, please go directly to my repository on Google Drive  ...

Thursday 27 September 2018

Anon: Six variations on Walsingham (Holmes Nn.6.36 19r)

Another in the series of transcriptions of lute versions of As I went to Walsingham: see introductory post here. Apologies for the strange title: the code refers to the first of two sets of variations in the 4th Matthew Holmes Lute Book (MS Nn.6.36) in Cambridge University Library.

Bars 41 – 51 of this Anonymous piece in the 4th Matthew Holmes Lute Book.
The full image can be seen at https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00006-00036/39


I find this piece difficult to get to terms with. How much is due to the anonymous composer, and how much to copying mistakes by an ageing Mathew Holmes, I am not qualified to judge. As explained below, I have done some recasting, which may or may not be appropriate.

After a fairly orthodox first variation, the work becomes quite jumpy: sequences of 1 to 3 bars concluded by a bar with a single block chord.

You will detect my lack of enthusiasm, but I've spent a day on the transcription, so I thought I'd give the piece an airing, albeit as an example of an oddity (or of my ignorance).

Notes on transcriptions

Since bar 21 has only 2 beats scored, I have shortened the single chord in bar 20 to one beat, and concatenated the two bars. In bar 20 perhaps Holmes’ time mark ꜏ (note 3 beats long) was a misprint for ꜓(1 beat). This assumption makes the score look more symmetrical.
Similarly, I have joined bars 29 and 30.
Bar 48 in the original has 5 beats, so I have split it into 2 bars.
It’s all a bit of a mess, and I am not wholly convinced by my tinkerings. Please regard this as a first attempt, which I include in the interests of completeness. I will have to think about it some more.

Downloads

Available to download in the following formats: